Thursday, January 21, 2010

In Soviet Russia, Kitchen Goes to You


Bold move . Or maybe it just seems bold by my American standards. I haven't been over there in a long time, but I think this kind of an attitude toward women is still commonplace in Ukraine. Still, it's amazing to think that if a politician said something like this in the U.S., he'd get slaughtered.

Yanukovych to Tymoshenko: "Go Back to the Kitchen"
Ukrainian presidential candidate Viktor Yanukovych on Wednesday told his rival for the country’s top spot, Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko, to take responsibility for herself or “go back to the kitchen.”

The leader of Ukraine’s Regions Party, Yanukovych addressed supporters in the Kharkiv region Wednesday and proclaimed that he is unafraid to criticize Tymoshenko.

“I’m told that it is useless and wrong to argue with a woman,” he said. “I don’t agree with this. First and foremost, I think that if she is prime minister, she has to be held responsible for everything she says. And if she is a woman, she has to go back to the kitchen.”

Read the full story here.

No comments:

Post a Comment